Applications for Cottage Food permits weren’t even online yet at the San Diego Environmental Health website, but you could download a copy from us! Applications can be picked up in person or just link to our copies below. To help decide which permit is best for you, see Class A vs B Cottage Food Permits. Downloads:
- San Diego CFO Registration Form AND
- Self-Inspection Checklist for Class A permit, OR
- Public Health Permit Application-San Diego for Class B permit
Tip: You will need the ‘Assessor’s Parcel Number‘ for your residence which can be found here by typing in your street address and zip code. FOR A CLASS A PERMIT you will need to fill out BOTH the registration form and the Self-Inspection checklist. Cost for annual permit is $142. FOR A CLASS B PERMIT, fill out the registration form and the Health Permit Application. Cost for the permit is $284 annually. Tip for filling out the Health Permit for Class B Permit: Check the box for “Class B Cottage Food” Operation in the first section. Then you need ONLY FILL OUT the business information and ignore the sections for food facility and below. Be sure to sign it!!) When complete, take the forms, your sample labels and your cash, check, money order, or credit/debit card into the office in person (no option to fax, email, or register online). While there is a San Marcos office, applications are still only accepted (as of Sept. 2014) at the San Diego office:
SAN DIEGO ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH OFFICE
5500 OVERLAND AVE # 170
SAN DIEGO, CA 92123
BEFORE YOU GO CHECK THAT
- Your foods are on the California state approved food list.
- A cottage food operation is allowed by your local zoning department.
- You have completed and signed a) The Class A Permit registration form and the Self-Inspection Checklist for a Class A permit OR b) The Class B application and the Health Permit application.
- You have sample copies of your labels for each product and flavor variation
- You have cash, check, debit/credit card, or money order made out to San Diego Environmental Health Dept. for the appropriate fee ($142 for Permit A or $284 for Permit B).
If you have more questions, email us or call the Specialist on Duty at the Health Department, Food and Housing Division, (858) 505 6900. Let’s get rollin’!